Why Vanilla Is So Expensive — And Always Worth It
I remember when the word basic wasn't used as an insult. If you
wanted to explain that something (or someone!) was overly bland,
commonplace, or simple, you'd call it (or them!) vanilla. I get
the sentiment, but it always seemed pretty mean to the humble vanilla
bean. And with its latest skyrocketing surge in price, I recently
decided to give vanilla the thought and attention it deserves.
First, Why Is Vanilla So Expensive Now?
Cyclone Enawo struck the island of Madagascar, the world's largest producer of vanilla beans, in March 2017. Prices fluctuate on natural agricultural products all the time, but this shot prices up to more than 300 times that of about a year before. The jump was extraordinary and staggering. I watched bottles of vanilla bean paste get more costly every day online and in brick-and-mortar stores. There have been other weather issues in Madagascar before and some price shifts, but I had never seen anything like this.The secondary issues affecting the pricing of vanilla are simply the increase in demand and the overall complex, agricultural socioeconomics of vanilla. Vanilla isn't subject to particularly efficient farming techniques (it's all still hand-labored, each orchid hand-pollinated, just as it was when Cortez found it in Mexico where it had been a food for the highest echelon of Aztecs). As more and more consumers want all-natural flavors, farmers struggle to keep up with the demand. And that's even without dealing with the damage left in the wake of natural disasters.
No matter what the reason, the effect has been clear: Prices have skyrocketed and the quality of vanilla has suffered. For me that means digging deeper to shell out for the best stuff from companies I trust.

Post a Comment